Friday, April 19, 2013

A bit of shameless self-promotion

Money's been a bit tight since our elderly golden retriever, Sage, got sick, so I've been tinkering with a few things up in my sewing lair, and I've decided to try my hand at making a few accessories for sale.  I'm planning to start small with a few local craft fairs and etsy, and see what happens.

The best dog ever, with the best kid ever.  Not that I'm biased or anything...

First up, I made this phone cozy using my Android as a pattern:

It has two pockets, one for your smartphone, one with a velcro closure for reciepts, change, credit cards, etc.  The outside closes with a button from my awesome vintage button collection.  I have so many neat single buttons that don't deserve to linger at the bottom of a tin.

For my second item, I decided to buy a pattern from an indie artist.  Check out Artsy Crafty Babe's awesome pattern selection.  I used her "Phoebe" bag pattern on these, and I'll be using her "Ruby" pattern as well.  I have a stash of cool vintage fabrics, and some funky t-shirts I picked up just because I liked the design. 
Bags based on an original design by Rebeka Lambert,
The one on the left is a cool t-shirt I thrifted.  The chevron one turned out so cute I may have to keep it.  I'm also working on a messenger bag design of my own.  Pattern drafting is challenging, but rewarding.  It's great to see an image in your head become a tangible item.

It's my hope to get a few of these things up on etsy soon.  Feedback is welcome.  Tell me what you like, don't like, etc.  What features would you like to see in a bag?

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Finished March muslin and April's stashbusting project

Here's my wearable muslin.  Apologies for the crappy cell phone picture:

I'm pretty happy with it.  This is the first time I have ever attempted major pattern alterations.  I lost the back facing, looked for it, gave up, and finished the neck and armholes with bias tape.  My zipper insertion seriously needs work.

April's challenge theme is color.  The plan right now is to use this crazy knit paisley with this 1972 pattern from my recent antique mall score.  My serger is broken at the moment, but my modern singer has a triple stretch stitch that works well for medium to heavy weight knits.  If the test stitches look like crap, I'll shelve the project until I get my serger back and do something else.


<a href="">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

I'm not sure what that did, but I'm using bloglovin to keep up with all my favorite blogs, since google reader is going away.  The switch was pretty painless.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

March Muslin Madness and Epic finds!

So March's stashbusting challenge was something for the changing season, which was kind of a joke because in my corner of the world, winter just WOULD NOT GO AWAY!!  aaAARGH.  I've been dreaming of lovely spring days while looking out a window at snow.  But nothing lasts forever, even if it seems that way.

For my birthday I received the lovely book "Gertie's New Book for Better Sewing" from my mom.  Thanks, Mom!  Her portrait blouse looked like a good beginner project, so I've been working on one.  I want a nice, go-to blouse to replace my ratty t-shirts with.  I'm hoping this will be a good wardrobe foundation piece, so I'm trying my damndest to get the fit as good as possible.  That means multiple muslins!  Muslin madness!!

I'm not sure what this yellow fabric is, some sort of polyester?  The important thing is that it was FREE!!  There's almost an entire bolt, and it's 60" wide.  Perfect for muslins, because I really don't give a crap if I mess it up!
If life gives you lemon polyester, take it.  Free shit is cool.

I did one muslin with the pattern as written.  There was not enough room for my boobage, so I did my first full bust adjustment using the method described in the book.  This one was better, but I still wasn't happy with it.  Since I'm an apple shape with big boobs, I wasn't feeling the waist darts.  That, and I wasn't sure I had re-drawn the front ones properly after the FBA. 

So for my latest muslin, which I'm hoping will be a wearable one, I omitted the waist darts entirely.  The fabric is a double knit polyester from an estate sale with a slight stretch.  I have a soft spot for 70's double knit polyester.  Something about the texture and color just speaks to me, even if they don't breathe/are itchy/most everyone else doesn't like them.  My first vintage dresses were A-line double knit numbers with huge collars.

The reason I'm a bit behind in posting March's project is that I went out of town with my son for spring break.  He had a great time with his Memaw, and I had a great time rummaging around in some antique malls.  I found a truly epic cache of vintage sewing patterns!  Even better, most of them were 40" bust or larger!

I'm planning to use one of these for my April project.  It will be my first time working with a vintage pattern.

Happy sewing!