Wednesday, March 6, 2013

February's Stashbusting Project: McCall's 6364

Hey all!  I've been stashbusting along, and have a new blouse(and a blouse fail).

Have you ever bought a piece of fabric, put it in your stash, forgotten about it, pulled it out months later and wondered, WTF was I thinking when I bought this???  Well, I tried to make a blouse out of several yards of shiny navy blue polyester that I must have been drunk when I bought.  Or high.  Or sleep deprived/off my meds/something...

Well, slippery fabric is not my friend.  That, and I totally FUBAR'ed the button placket.  Total wadder.

I refused to be discouraged, and decided to take a few steps back, sewing-difficulty wise.  Enter McCall's 6364
It's not as bad as the cover art makes it look.


I've been on the fence about this pattern since I bought it at one of those 10 for $10 sales.  The envelope art does it no favors, but I thought it might be a good warm weather top made up in a lighter fabric.  It works.

Unbelted, I swim in it.  But belted and worn over a pair of leggings or skinny jeans, I like it.  I'm not sure what kind of fabric it is.  I found it at the Punk Rock Flea Market for a couple bucks.  There was just enough to make this top.  Some kind of cotton blend, maybe?

I also made a little bag out of some oddball scraps.  I call it the Hipster Bag.
PUT A BIRD ON IT!!!

I used a pattern from "The Book of Bags".  Sizewise, it reminds me of the cute little bags I used to wear everywhere before I became a mom and needed to haul tons of my kid's shit with me.  The owl is a lucky estate sale find.  The branch is a no-sew applique I made with some iron-on stabilizer stuff.  If I had a chance to do this over, I'd lower the design and do that part first before constructing the bag.  Oh well.

I'm looking forward to March's Stashbusting Challenge.  I have some awesome stuff planned this spring and summer, and I want a kickass wardrobe to go with it.  Can't decide if I want to start with a top, shorts, or a bag.  Either way, I'll be glad to log some time at my machiine.  Happy Stashbusting!

No comments:

Post a Comment