Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Am I the only one who remembers 7up Gold?

For a brief moment in 1988, this was available.  I was ten, and loved it as much as a ten year old could love a soda.  Soda was a rare treat in our household.  Because we were broke, the grocery money had to stretch as far as possible.  But on some lucky days, there would be a sale on 7up products, or a little extra overtime.  Paydays are magical things when living broke.  Frozen pizza and soda tasted like ambrosia after a week of rice and beans.  7up gold tasted unlike any other soda on the wall o' beverages.  It was like apple ginger ale, with a dash of sweet spices.  And it had caffiene!  Buzz, buzz, buzz!!

But then as quickly as it appeared, it vanished.  And I have been just a little sad when I walk down the soda aisle ever since. 

Maybe 7up will jump on the retro/throwback bandwagon and re-release it as a special edition.  Look how well Pepsi Throwback did.  And Salsa Rio Doritos, another childhood fave I thought I'd never taste again just came back.  I emailed 7up.  Maybe if enough junk food nerds did the same.....I can dream, can't I?

1 comment:

  1. I don't remember 7up Gold, but I'm intrigued by all new flavors of Doritos.

    ReplyDelete