Friday, April 19, 2013

A bit of shameless self-promotion

Money's been a bit tight since our elderly golden retriever, Sage, got sick, so I've been tinkering with a few things up in my sewing lair, and I've decided to try my hand at making a few accessories for sale.  I'm planning to start small with a few local craft fairs and etsy, and see what happens.

The best dog ever, with the best kid ever.  Not that I'm biased or anything...

First up, I made this phone cozy using my Android as a pattern:


It has two pockets, one for your smartphone, one with a velcro closure for reciepts, change, credit cards, etc.  The outside closes with a button from my awesome vintage button collection.  I have so many neat single buttons that don't deserve to linger at the bottom of a tin.

For my second item, I decided to buy a pattern from an indie artist.  Check out Artsy Crafty Babe's awesome pattern selection.  I used her "Phoebe" bag pattern on these, and I'll be using her "Ruby" pattern as well.  I have a stash of cool vintage fabrics, and some funky t-shirts I picked up just because I liked the design. 
Bags based on an original design by Rebeka Lambert, www.rebekalambert.com
The one on the left is a cool t-shirt I thrifted.  The chevron one turned out so cute I may have to keep it.  I'm also working on a messenger bag design of my own.  Pattern drafting is challenging, but rewarding.  It's great to see an image in your head become a tangible item.

It's my hope to get a few of these things up on etsy soon.  Feedback is welcome.  Tell me what you like, don't like, etc.  What features would you like to see in a bag?

No comments:

Post a Comment