Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Geeking out in the kitchen

Homebrewing and canning are two of my many hobbies.  Yeah, it would be easier to pick up a case of beer or a jar of jam, but where's the fun in that?  I love being able to hand a guest a beer or a cracker spread with my latest savory jam and say "I made this". 
A couple weeks ago, I started a new batch of beer.  My son wanted to help, so I gave him a brush and let him clean out a carboy.

I hope the desire to "help" continues as he gets older.  I can dream, can't I?  Anyway, I got a kit from my local homebrew shop and decided to tweak it a little with some honey and a quick lavender syrup I made up on the stove.  It has a week to go before I can open it.  Hope it's good!

Today while the kid slept, I made some red onion jelly.  I love savory jellies and jams as glazes for grilled meat and spread on a cracker with cream cheese.  I make regular fruit preserves as well, but the savories are my favorites. 
I love the nice red color on these.  All natural!  I find my savory spreads taste even better after a little time on the shelf, so I'm going to stash them in the pantry for a week or two. 

No comments:

Post a Comment